Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:12 PM
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R and D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Cornings Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence and innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning's existing and emerging businesses.
We anticipate and provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning's businesses and the Science and Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning's manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Responsibilities include providing statistical expertise to project teams by applying a variety of statistical methods to analyze product and process data with opportunity for hands:on data collection and presentation/documentation of results. The intern will work with experienced statisticians on cross discipline project teams to support internal R, D, and E projects currently underway in the department and/or lead short:term projects. The current project portfolio covers a broad range of business areas including Life Sciences, Display Technologies (LCD glass), Gorilla Glass(R), Environmental Technologies (Automotive and Diesel), Specialty Materials, and Strategic Growth (new business development). The specific project role will be tailored to match the interests and abilities of the individual.
Typical Project Scopes:
- Improving manufacturing capability (e.g. efficiencies, yields, cycle time, and/or material utilization) by identifying and eliminating root cause(s) of variability
- Problem solving and/or process improvement using a structured methodical approach and appropriate application of statistics (e.g. Six Sigma) - Evaluating impact on the product/process from new or existing: raw materials, processes, and/or equipment parameters
- Evaluating measurement systems to improve quality and/or reduce inspection costs
- Designing experiments to identify key process inputs/interactions and impact on product
- Candidate for MS/MA in Statistics or senior level undergrad who has been accepted into a MS/MA Statistics program. Or current MS/MA Statistics student.
- Prefer for undergraduate degree to be in Engineering discipline, but will consider those with Math/Stat undergraduate degree.
- Strong interest in industrial statistical applications with a high level of technical curiosity
- Statistical knowledge in these areas: descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, regression and correlation analysis, ANOVA, factorial and response surface DOE
- Proficiency in the use of computer based statistical applications (e.g. Minitab, JMP)
- Ability to present statistical data and analysis in written and graphical form that is understandable to broad audiences
- Strong team skills, able to interact well with a diverse project team
- Enjoy problem solving in a technical environment
- Statistical knowledge in other areas: nonparametric methods, time series analysis, reliability analysis, multivariate analysis, process capability studies, sample size determination, acceptance sampling, data mining, principle component analysis, mixture experiments
- Advanced Excel Skills : pivot tables and macro development
- Six Sigma Training and/or experience
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) or Certified Quality Manager (CQM)
- Good interpersonal skills and strong desire to work with cross functional teams.
• Location: corning, Elmira-Corning
• Post ID: 31983272 elmira